grafischer Teaser Rickmer Rickmers
Sie sind hier: Museum / Geschichte

Weitere Sprachen

History

The bark arrived in Hamburg in 1983 and her appearance was the highlight on the 794th birthday celebrations of Hamburg harbor, held every year around the 7th May.

The RICKMER RICKMERS arrived in a very disastrous condition and it took another 4 years until it was possible to present the windjammer as it is seen today.

Please follow us back to the year 1896. At the company‘s own wharf in Bremerhaven, the Rickmers Shipping Line gave the order to construct the RICKMER RLICKMERS as a steel full -rigger.

On her first voyage, she sailed to Hongkong and Saigon under the command of Captain Hermann-Hinrich Ahlers, two officers and a crew of 22 men. On her 7th voyage, back home to Geestemünde (where she was registered) the RICKMER RICKMERS ran into a violent storm. Luckily she was able to escape and reached Cape Town, South Africa. The last mast (Mizzenmast) was severely damaged and the RICKMER RICKMERS had to be re-rigged. After completion of the work, the windjammer appeared in future as bark. During one of her long--distance voyages in 1912, she was sold, while anchoring in the harbor of Delfzyl. The new owner, the Hamburg based shipping company Carl Christian Krabbenhöft, renamed her ,,MAX“, mainly used in the ,,Nitrate trade“. In 1916, on her way back from Chile to Hamburg, she was confiscated by the Portuguese (illegal, because this land was not instate of war with Germany) and handed over to the British. Again she was re-named and under her new name ,,FLORES“ she shipped war-materials for her new owners.

Foto: Besatzung der RR 1908

After World War 1 the Portuguese Admiralty received the ,,FLORES“ as reparation. In the late twenties she was reconstructed (rebuild) and flies the Portuguese flag as cadet training ship ,,SAGRES“, completed by two 350 HP Krupp Diesel engines in 1930.

In the former engine room are two engines on show: One old steam and one old Diesel engine. With these and the ship herself demonstrate all three possibilities to move a ship: Wind, steam and fuel.

Gemälde: RR im Pazifik vor dem Wind

The last big appearance of ,,SAGRES“ was 1958. She won the ,,Cutty Sark tall ship race“ against a lot of other tall ships on the ocean.

In 1962 the Portuguese Navy purchased the windjammer ,,Albert Leo Schlageter“ and used this new ship as a training ship under the name ,,SAGRES II“. Our ship, now ,,SAGRES 1“, was renamed in ,,SANTO ANDRE“ and from then on she was a hulk, used for storing navy equipment in Lisbon.

In 1983, the association ,,Windjammer für Hamburg e. V.“, who had been looking for a suitable windjammer since 1974, was able to fulfill the conditions oft he Portuguese Navy and within two month time the deal was made and the windjammer changed its owner for the last time.

On the 7th May 1983 she made her first appearance at her new home, the Hamburg harbor, and for a couple of days the public had the chance to have a dose look at the old / new RJCKMIER RICKMERS.

As mentioned at the beginning, the RICKMER RICKMERS was in a very poor condition. lt took 4 years of hard work and a few million Marks (most oft hem donations) as well as a lot of courage to restore the ship as she is seen here today at the Fiete-Schmidt landing stage. The ship itself is primarily a museum, but it is also possible to visit the ship‘s restaurant on the second deck.

In autumn 1987 the ship was contributed in a new established foundation.
Length overall:   97.0 meters
Width :   12.2meters
Depth    6.0 meters (from water-level)
Sails  3.500.0 sq. meters (at the time when she was sailing)